Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 and the Holidays

2008 was an incredible year for me. It was one of the most memorable and experience filled years of my life. It has also been one of the most challenging of my 26 years. Replete with travels, work, relationships, family events, hobbies, etc., my world has been richly expanded. I am very blessed indeed. A few highlights include spending several months in the most beautiful village on earth, Bumwalukani, Uganda, my brother's beautiful wedding, visiting family over the 4th of July and celebrating my birthday at home, working at USAID on the President's Malaria Initiative, seeing friends and family in NYC, Utah, Virginia Beach, and of course, DC, loving and having dated a great friend, going through the LDS Temple, and finding medical help for a friend from Uganda who could not be treated there. Through all of these things, I have learned and grown so much.

Those who know me well know that December has been particularly challenging while at the same time, absolutely rewarding. For a moment, I want to focus on the good things that happened last month that have, on a moment by moment basis, reminded how wonderful life is.

I went home to South Dakota. The average high while I was there was 7 degrees Fahrenheit with a few days not breaking zero. The big plus - a WHITE Christmas! Here's the view from the front window of the house I grew up in:



Secondly, I unexpectedly got to be home for 2 weeks and this is why: If you've been reading my blog, you should know about Teacher Grace. She is a friend of mine from Uganda who had a tumor that could not be treated there. I tried everything to help her and finally, Avera McKennan Hospital in Sioux Falls offered to take her case. After a struggle to get a Uganda passport and US visa, and organize a hundred other details, she few into Sioux Falls on December 17th for tests, scans, and appointments with doctors and ultimately brain surgery on the 23rd. The diagnosis was a menengioma - a benign brain tumor that would continue to grow and eventually could harm her pituitary gland and was already causing blindness. The surgery went well and she is recovering miraculously. Her story is one of incredible generosity, an undeniable work of God, and tremendous will power of everyone involved to make big things happen for someone in great need. Since I was young, I have believed that great lengths are worth the effort to help people, but I never imagined just how great of length could really be reached by my own influence. The whole thing was by no means my own doing. It was a beautiful miracle that I got to be a part of.

Here's a picture of Grace:
Third, I have learned that somedays do happen! Being Mormon, I have always looked forward to going to the Temple. The lyrics to my favorite Primary Song say, "I love to see the Temple, I'm going there someday." My someday came! In reverence for the sacredness of the Temple, I just want to say it was beautiful and I'm excited to go back! I love the Temple!

Here are a couple pictures of my dad and sister and me at the Winter Quarters Temple:

Fourth, I LOVE ice skating. My dad and I tried out the ol' rusty skates we have at an out door rink the other evening. At first I was cautious, but once I got comfortable, I began to try out spins and turns and arabesques and all sorts of tricks. Finally I was the only person out so I confidently began to glide as fast as I could around the rink. Suddenly, my toe stuck and I crashed! I slid for what felt like several minutes in slow motion. Once I came to a halt, I sat up and breathed it out. My right knee and left hip felt pain, but I knew I was OK. I slowly got up and called it a night. But, I was SO proud of myself! I fell! I fell hard and it didn't hurt me too bad!!! I've always been afraid of falling. As a result, I've been quite risk averse when it comes to physical things like pirouettes in ballet, skiing, cartwheels, roller coasters (yes, I know), and even when walking and running. It was SO cool to fall and survive! :)

Here are is a picture of the battle wounds:

Swollen knee - YIKES! (You should see the bruise, but I'll save you that nasty pic)

Finally, while I was home, I reflected a lot on what I like to do and what I want to fill my time with in 2009. I am excited to start a graduate program. I also want to get back into hobbies like yoga, golf, reading, sewing, cooking, making friends, and everything else I do to explore the world. To start off this effort, I knitted a scarf the other day! Check it out:

Well, as you can see, many good things are happening right now! And I just want to thank all of you for being rad friends and superb family. I can't help but realize that each of you contributes to the abundance in my life! I wish you a Happy New Year and hope yours to be one of learning and love!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

except for that ouchie knee, looks like things are going well. I miss you!

Katie Voorhees said...

We love you Charlee! I am so glad that you had such a good year, you are amazing, and did alot of cool things! I am so jealous. Best for you in 2009!

Taryn said...

sounds like a busy month. way to pack it all in.

congrats about the temple. such a neat experience.

Wendy said...

I love you! I'm so glad you are mine and I am yours and we have each other!

Erika said...

You are amazing and I miss you! Congratulations on going through the temple. Now we can have running and temple dates!

Melanie said...

yay! just found your blog, i'll add it to my reader. :) this sounds so great! it was good to talk to you on sunday!