Sunday, April 15, 2007

Exhilerating!

I saw a movie this evening that intrigued me. "Namesake" is a beautiful celebration of culture, generations, and identity. I cried, laughed, felt so awkward, and related to parts of the film. It's about growing up, tradition, family, seeing the world, America, India, and life. The movie is filled with poetry, literature, and good music. I especially appreciated the obvious struggle between the individualist American culture verses the more collectivist Indian culture, and how the infusion of the two required compromise of values from both sides. The family maintained its heritage while pursuing the "American Dream." Check out the trailer and go see it if you're in to artsy indie type stuff. I came away feeling exhilerated and desiring to go see the world.

5 comments:

Scott said...

Indian culture intrigues me. There are several good Indian novels. I think you should rent the Namesake again and bring it over for me to watch.

Doctor said...

This looks amazing. I'm definitely going to see it.

Incidentally, what time did you post this entry? ;)

Charlee said...

I've never posted comments on my own blog, but in response to your question... it was very very very past my bed time!

ANJ said...

yay. me too.

Michael said...

Sounds interesting.