Friday, January 25, 2008

layover

Amsterdam – Something about boarding a plane that is crossing an ocean is more nerve-racking than jumping from state to state. I’m not sure why because I imagine that a water landing would be much softer than a ground landing, but that’s just it – the ground offers a solid landing. Hmm. Well, I made it. Here I am in Amsterdam for 3 hours before I head out to Entebbe airport. When I get there, at 8:50 pm, John Wanda’s brother who lives in Kampala will have a sign with my name on it. My travel companion is Mike. In our haste to get to the next gate, don’t ask me why we would possibly be in a hurry while on a 3 hour layover, we went through the wrong customs station. I turned around to walk back and suddenly the police whistled at me. I guess that was a no-no. Well, my passport is stamped for Amsterdam.

We just bought adapters and batteries at the Duty Free store. The man at the check out noticed that I have a Dutch last name. I’m very Scandinavian – I guess I’m in (or near) the motherland. Surprisingly, I hear American accents everywhere. I commented to Mike that I love European culture as I saw a few men dressed in their soccer jerseys and a couple women totally hipstered out. But I think I would see those things in the Dulles airport in DC and the only reason they stand out now is because I’m in Europe. Hmmm…

Well, so far so good. I can’t wait to be done carrying this load, but I’m afraid that burden won’t be gone for a few more days.

I’m off!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Most excellent. Glad someone whistled at you. (Just playing.)

My grandparents immigrated to the US from Norway... thought the Scandinavian comment was cool.

If you are going fast enough, hitting water would be like hitting cement. If you survived the not so soft landing, the next obstacle would be not to drown before someone comes to get you.

Anyway, glad you made it to Amsterdam.

Tracy and Odie said...

Charlee!!!! Ahhh, I can't wait for you to get to Uganda. You have been on my mind all day. I went and stood in your room this morning and got so sad. But happy. But still sad.

Love you.

Angie Monson said...

CHARLIE! Nikki sent me your blog and I am so excited about your new adventure. I will come back and visit often so I can live vicariously through you. Hope you are having fun!

Angie (your cousin)