Saturday, February 09, 2008

I Got Sick. YUCK! WTMI (Way too much information).

Warning, this may disgust you, so proceed with caution! 1/31/08

David, a former Peace Corp volunteer and FIMRC onsite manager here in Bumwalukani, said, “In places like this, talking about bowel movements is not unusual. It’s perfectly normal amongst Peace Corp members to say, ‘Hi, I’m David. I have not [crapped] in six days.”

And so… I’m on day six in Uganda. So far so good – until now. I experienced my first bout of explosive diarrhea this morning. Thinking it was all clear (I couldn’t possibly have anything more in me) I set out for a day at the market and tour of the Budodo Hospital.

Bad idea. We loaded onto a nearly full matato (taxi). As we headed to the market, about eight more people got on board. I counted 18 people – imagine that many folks in a volkswagon van. We reached the market and many people unloaded, but we were headed for the hospital in the next town. The market was crowded and the driver took time to unload and load (a goat – yes, a goat, was loaded under the seat I sat on).

Suddenly, my stomach churned. After a minute or two more of loading and unloading, I thought to myself, if this bus doesn’t start moving, something else is going to move and it’s not going to be pleasant. Not convinced I could make it to Budodo, I turned to David and asked how difficult it would be to find latrine. We got off and set out to find it. Directed to go toward the school, the latrine was locked when we reached. To my relief, a young girl fetched the key. Phew, I barely made it! David kindly fetched TP for me, which served its purpose much better than the loose notebook paper that was in the latrine.

The last story I’ll share is hilarious. Then I’ll stop disgusting you with a discussion on my bowel problems. After the school house rock, I made it through the market, and through a tour of Bududo Hospital – very scary third world medical conditions, but they had running toilets. We stopped for lunch at a restaurant in Bududa. Hesitant to eat, I ordered a Coke. About 1/3 into my drink and oh no, not again!!! I looked at David, who later commented on the horror/urgency he saw in my face, and asked if I would be able to find a latrine here. Forget waiting for his reply. I stood up, demanded Nikki to give me the TP, but didn’t even wait for that. I rushed into the kitchen and declared, “Latrine! Toilet!” All I got were stares. I went on, “Bathroom! Restroom! Toilet!” Oh, please have a toilet. Then a girl got up. I’m quite certain she got the message because she started out fast. Out of fear that I would have an accident, I held my skirt out in front and in back. We wound our way through the kitchen, around the back lot, through and alley, and then she said, “Wait here.” WAIT?!?!? Are you kidding me?? But she was back in seconds with a key to unlock the latrine. Relief! And just in time. And sweet Nikki appeared just in time to hold the door and give me the TP.

I was mortified when I returned to my friends, but I felt better. Nikki told me stories about embarrassing moments she has had to help me feel better. We took boda bodas home – I sat behind David on the motorcycle. He made sure to remind me that it was in his best interest that I tell him if we need to stop on the side of the road! I made it home safe and sound. Needless to say, I stayed low for the rest of the day.

Thank heavens for Levaquin. I felt relieved of my illness in about 48 hours.

Hey now, I am in Africa! OK, I realize that is much much more than I ever should have shared with you and all the strangers out there on the internet.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Wow, I would classify that as a Yellow Alert. At least you made it. Red Alerts give you little warning and time. Fortunatly I have only had 2 or 3 Red Alerts. :)

ANJ said...

this one may come back to bite you in the... well... you know. sometimes people's employers look up their blogs to see what they write about. haha!

anyway, i do know what you mean about feeling strangely open talking about such things when you're living in primitive conditions. makes you feel pretty grateful for the ceramic throne, eh?