Saturday, March 08, 2008

Boda boda adventures

Currently, I'm running a new clinic in a village about 6 kilometers from Kenya. We have a comprehensive nurse, a midwife, and a nurse's assistant. I'm assisting with management and start up - I am working to get the clinic registered, to set up inventory and supply systems, and write reports, and complete the finishing touches on the buildings. Nothing in Uganda has a price tag on it so I'm getting really good at negotiating.

Also, transportation is crazy - I've mastered the boda boda ride which is a motorcycle. The other day, I was cruising up a mountain on a boda when it started to rain. Of course the road turns to mud and is super slippery. At one point, I thought we were going to fall off - we were swerving and fishtailing through the mud. At that point I told the driver I could walk - unfortunately, the mud got into the engine or something so it wouldn't start. So I walked. The mud oozed around my shoes. I am prideful about being a mazunga who can keep up so we booked it up the mountain. We walked all the way to the next trading center. It was about 5:30 in the evening so the entire town was out and about. Here I was, in the center of a village - the only mazunga for probably 5 square miles and my driver left me to find a another boda. I'm standing there with the entire village staring at me and the children gleefully pointing at me. All I could do was wave and say, "howdy." That wasn't very helpful, but soon enough my driver came to my rescue - not so much like a knight in shining armour, and we were off. From then on I felt like I was in a parade waving to all the people who view me as the craziest spectacle they have seen in weeks. hahaha!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charelee the mazunga. Aesome stories you have.

Michael said...

D'oh. Should have run the spell checker. I was just excited to test the OpenID thing.

Awesome stories you have.