Friday, March 28, 2008

Learning Lugisu

3-27-08

I returned to Bupoto yesterday. I like being here because the people teach me words in Lugisu. Lugisu, also called Lumasaba, is the vernacular of the Bugisu tribe here in Eastern Uganda. Learning the language fluently would take months, but gaining a few words here and there is a game for me. Interestingly enough, there are no written materials in Lugisu aside from the Bible. Spellings are relative and phonetic. Only a handful of consonants are used often and the vowel sounds are similar to Spanish vowels.

A sounds like ah.
I sounds like ee.
E – ay.
O – oh.
U – oo.

Ka – Kah
Kh – ch
Tsi – see
Tsa – sya
We – way
E – eh
Lyo – leo
Kii – ch
Nde – new

I have a book of SuDoKu and have taught a few of my friends how to play. By doing so, I’ve learned to count to nine (well, ten to top it off).

Ndwela – 1
Tsibili – 2
Tsitaru – 3
Tsine – 4
Tsirano – 5
Tsisesaba -6
Musafu – 7
Shinane – 8 (my personal favorite – hey, shi nay nay!)
Shyenda – 9
Likhumi – 10

A few phrases have come in handy:

Mazungu – unfamiliar visitor or friend (less PC – white person)
Now simili nabe – I’m very happy to see you.
Wan yala nabe – Thank you very much.
Wakhenyala – Thank you for your work or well done.
Mulembe – hello
Oriena - how are you?
Bu lyi – I’m fine, and you?
Komahoa – what’s new?
Komalyi – not much thanks.
Casala – nothing new, thanks.
Komapesa kenga - how does this cost?
Inganga – give me
Wamalye bilyo – the food is finished.
Wekure (sometimes said Nekure) – I’m satisfied or full.
Kamatore – bananas
Bilyo-bilayi – good food
Bilyo-bib – bad food
Inanasi – Pineapple
Kamachi – eggs (in Mbale they’re amaggi)
Inzala – I’m hungry
How hotsa hulia bilyo – the food is ready
Mazalla – friend
Obe mulyi – goodbye
Hokena hokena – do you want to sleep?
Itsa nano – you come
Hocanis – what do you want?
Yehalowas – sit down
Holias – why are you crying?
Hakana hulia – do you want to eat?
Warulyi – welcome back
Bahalanga barunanu – what is your name?
Hotsa wye – where are you going?
Nowkohle – I’m coming back.
Wangi – this is a respectful response when someone calls for you. It means I’m here.
Towe – no
Kale – yes
Imbawo – cold – not fine

And of course, all of these sounds and words can be different or function under different rules depending on where you are and who you’re talking to. If one person tells you how to say something, the next will tell you it is wrong and give you another mouth full to try. For example, in our village, corn, or maze, is called miande. In the north, it is called kasoli. In Mbale, it is called nabukubo.

That, my friends, is the extent of my lugisu expertise. I use most of those terms and phrases when speaking with little children and babies who don’t have to respond to my slaughtered babblings. Fortunately, English is the national language of Uganda and enough people speak it for me to not have a problem communicating. But I wish I had more time here so I could learn the lugisu. I would be far more effective if I could communicate with those around me.

If you have questions about Ligisu, contact John Wanda at ArlingtonAcademyHope@yahoo.com.  

31 comments:

Michael said...

That is way interesting. Thanks for the post.

bunabumali said...

this is very wonderful

Matanda said...

Hi , I am James Matanda , a mugisu working and living in New Jersey, how did you become interested in Lugisu?, Can I teach you some more words ?

Ynahteb said...

Hey! I was wondering if you might be able to record each word so I could hear it and possibly send it to me in some kind of WAV./ MP3 Format??
I'm heading over to Uganda for 12 months in July and will be living in Chino - part of the Buyaya parish in the Sironko Eastern District - but i'd like to learn a but of Lugisu before hand!

Would this be possible in anyway whatsoever???

-- Bethany Lauren (Toronto, Canada)

Anonymous said...

I'm doing research on Gishu this summer, and am hoping you can help me. Please contact me at lmackerman@u.northwestern.edu if you can help me or can direct me to someone who can help.
Thanks!
Lauren Ackerman
Linguistics Dept
Northwestern University

Shem & Catherine Mabongor said...

For more lessons in Lugisu with text and audio of a native Mugisu speaking please check out our website: http://www.shemandcatherine.com/learning-lugisu.html

Thank you for your interest in our beautiful language.

Catherine Mabongor

Unknown said...

How I wish I knew when you came! When shall you come again. Am a gishu ugandan

Shem & Catherine Mabongor said...

I am planning on creating a Lumasaaba language course complete with recordings and text. Look for it by June 2016. My husband is a Mumasaaba and I am American. My heart is to see that Lumasaaba language does not get lost! www.shemandcatherine.com

Unknown said...

Shem & Catherine. This objective is noble indeed. I advise that you link up with other like minded people. We have in place the Lumasaaba Language academy that is working on developing content. There is also the cultural institution that cuts across the borders. For follow up info please contact me on wabwiiyi@gmail.com
Wanyala Naabi, Wabwiiyi uwa Wekunya

Peter said...

Hi there, just a little correction; the correct prefix for a root noun for human beings, in this case the root -zungu is Umu- if it's 1 person and Ba- if more than one.

The prefix you use Ma- is for things (in Swahili, I don't think Ma- is used in Lumasaba -ie Lugisu.)

So a white person in Lugisu is Umuzungu and when they are many they are Bazungu. Mazungu is derogatory in Swahili language to mean white people because the prefix used 'Ma-' is meant for things in Swahili. The correct prefix for people in Swahili is 'Wa-' so it's proper to say Wazungu in Swahili.

Again, I haven't come across the use of 'Ma-' as a prefix in Lugisu.

I hope this helps.

Musingo Stephen Mutenyo said...

Be mindful of the many dialects we have in Lumasaaba/Lugisu. If you decide to learn the language stick to one dialect. Otherwise you may mix up pronunciations/words and create confusion of all sorts. The major distinction is between Babuya (Central and Southern)and Badadiri (Northern), where some words are even different. Myself I grew up in Central but neighbouring Southern. My wife comes from Budadiri, and this has made me avoid teaching my children the language.Wele alinde (God bless you).
Musingo Stephen Mutenyo

Unknown said...

I agree with Stephen. The two are a little different in pronunciations however for one who has lived and experience both can figure out which could be different with a person who is learning.
My parents come from the two northern and southern and it's been a great experience to navigate among the two but at the same time avoid the confusion of mixing them up. So once I get to the two ends of people from the sides of my parents I can be able to grasp what they are communicating

Unknown said...

This is wonderful when I hear my language lugisu.I feel we also golobal

Shem & Catherine Mabongor said...

Just to clarify, the word muzuungu is VERY offensive to Caucasians. We may politely pretend otherwise for the sake of good manners. But please phase this word out of your vocabulary and way of seeing others.


Unknown said...

Yes,,sure...it does.thanks

Unknown said...

True

Unknown said...

True

Unknown said...

We don't have a dictionary for gisu am from home but I need to learn more

Unknown said...

Hi everyone,it's too bad our grandparents left mbale many years ago,we never got a chance to trace our original ancestral home,but the most hurting thing is at 30 years of age,am discovering that am a mugishu,how can I start,I was hoping to find a girl's name for bagisu,then slowly learn the language...but I and my siblings,we love mountains...Soo much proud to find my identity at last.

Unknown said...

Hello Shem & Catherine, thanks for insight on the gisu language. Lately I got interested in learning a few, but I can't access your website. Please help. Thanks.

Shem & Catherine Mabongor said...

We took our website shemandcatherine.com down. We are now at open-chapel.com The grammar information is not on that website because we are still working on publishing the grammar book on Kindle. The process is taking longer than we expected. Sorry for the delay. Catherine

Masaba Martin said...

Hey am Masaba Martin grown from buganda I am in interested in learning lugishu

Unknown said...

I feel what you saying

Unknown said...

The meaning of ngukhana nabbi

Peter said...

I love you very much.

Peter said...

Hi unknown, good for you. Bugisu is a good place with a nice peaceful vibe.

Anonymous said...

Etsimuli tsilungi stigulira

Anonymous said...

So amazing keep up

Ahimbisibwe Cresent said...

Im trying to grasp a few gisu words and phrases to use as im new in this side of the word. Thanks slot.

Anonymous said...

Can you help? What does the word Tingula mean….from the song by Juliet Mugirya? Thank you

Anonymous said...

It means to snip as in cut off a tiny piece. I haven’t heard the song and would need to listen to the word in context for a fuller translation. Hope this helps. Catherine Mabongor