Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Modern Amenities Coming Right Up!

I would like to report a few vast modern improvements made in the village in the past few weeks. Our lives have been drastically revolutionized by such modern amenities as a running shower and toilet in the guest house, improved power supply from UMEME, the power company, and most significantly by internet at the school!!!!! Yes, you heard me, I'm writing to you from the comfort of our school's new library. Our service is provided by a fancy cell phone device that gives us slightly better than a dial up stream of access to the world wide web. This afternoon, I showed some students the AAH website. I'm not sure they fully comprehended that the rest of the world could also look at their pictures on computers. But these kids are bright and will catch on in no time. We are working feverishly to set up 8 school computers to the net, and we have a wireless router for all laptops that come this way. Seriously, I feel like this is the first time I've seen internet. It's funny though - my dependence on the net has completely abated. When I finally have the chance to use it, I don't really have much to do. I definitely don't feel like spending too much time blogging, and emailing is a waste of my time. I'd rather read my book, which requires less patience.

So today I took a shower after doing "road work" (running). I enjoyed electrical lights and hot water from our electric kettle, and now I'm on the net. The next thing I hope for is a paved road to the school. It's rained for almost 3 days straight now and the trek up the road this morning was a doozie. I didn't fall today, but I did last week. It was 6 am in Bupoto and I was catching the first matatu out. The steep hill from the clinic to Matuwa proved merciless as I slid, sloshed, and slipped to a stop on my trash!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Well, I'm glad to hear after these few months you finally showered. :)

I suppose with all that rain, it's like a natural shower?

Glad you didn't fall. Especially if you are packing your laptop around. I'd be falling all over, so I figure I'd never survive there.

Speaking of laptops and network topology. This wireless network is going to use the cell phone to connect to the Internet? Is that going to potentially make the connection even slower if everyone is on at the same time?

Anyway, good to hear from ya even if you feel email is a waste of time. I'd call, but you might be out on the mountain tops...

Cheers.

Katie Voorhees said...

Charlee you are amazing, and I am so jealous of all your experiences! Stay safe and we love you! Hope to see you soon!

Nicole Anderson Photography said...

Charlee, its so good to see pictures from your amazing adventures. Parker loved seeing all the animals you have on your blog- he told me each of their names as we scrolled down. Well we hope you are doing well and enjoy reading about your adventures. hjkkmgfyhghhgff - that was Parker's message for you- not sure what he is trying to say. Your cousin Nikki