Saturday, August 02, 2008

Malaria Education

Uganda has approximately 30 million people. In 2003, 12 million cases of malaria were reported in Uganda (globalhealthfacts.org). Malaria affects everyone and most families experience death of a loved one due to this treatable and preventable disease. The country is engaged in many efforts to reduce the disease and treat its victims. They still suffer from it tremendously.
While in Uganda, I saw many NGOs providing services to villages. Shortly after my arrival, I was invited by the local government chairman to watch a “health video” presented by Ox Fam. The entire village gathered in the school yard as Ox Fam vans rolled up. A team of young people got out with props and costumes. I quickly learned that “video” actually meant skits with dancing and singing in the local dialect. The theme that day was malaria. The crowd watched as actors showed them how to properly use mosquito nets and encouraged them to seek medical care when necessary. I was impressed by the way locals were involved in educating their neighbors and fellow tribe members.

Here is a video I took of the event:

Before I left, several friends told me, "Africa will change you." Yes it did. My trip to Uganda gave me a new direction. I am passionate about the work I did there and want to continue it in some way. This week I started working at USAID in the Bureau of Global Health on the President's Malaria Initiative. I am grateful for this opportunity and excited to help the people of Uganda and other countries to reduce the impact of malaria and ultimately eradicate the disease.

1 comment:

MishMyBelle said...

Charlee-

Congrats on your new job! I am so happy you'll be doing something you feel so passionate about. We'll this job give you the opportunity to travel back to Africa?