Thursday, September 28, 2006

To give = kindness; To express annoyances = ???

I feel a great deal of compassion for the homeless people around my office. DC is teaming with them, especially the area of Union Station. I don't have tons to give nor do I typically have spare change in my pockets, so the least I can do is treat them well and respectfully. I've even made acquantances with a few of the regulars around here.

I buy lunch at the Subway around the corner from my office about two times a week. There is a homeless man who stands in front of the store and asks for any spare change customers have when they come out. It's actually a clever tactic. However, I wonder if it's illegal. I'm sure if the franchisee knewn it was happening, he wouldn't put up with it. For some reason I was really annoyed by him two days ago when I went to get lunch. So yesterday as I approached the store, with little premonition I asked him his name before he could ask for my change. He told me it was Melvin.

"Melvin," I said,"Sometmes I get annoyed when you ask for my money every time I come to this store."

He just looked at me, taken aback. The thing is, I surprised myself just as much as I did him. I briskly turned to avoid the awkwardness and said, "I will give to you today, Melvin." So I went in the store, bought my food, then gave him a dollar.

As I walked away, I couldn't quite believe what I said and even now, I'm debating if my assertion to the needy man was necessary and unkind. It probably wasn't very Christian of me. Does the harsh word and the giving cancel each other out in this instance?!?! The look on his face, mouth gaping showing off a gap between dingy teeth, will forever stay with me.

I chuckle as I tell you this...

No comments: