Saturday, February 10, 2007

First Week

Holy cow! I feel like I drank out out of a fire hose. Starting a new job is exciting and exhausting. I survived my first week and here are a few of my impressions:

1. I fell into the perfect place! My five year plan entails becoming a physician's assistant. There is no better way to prepare for PA school than by working in a vascular surgery department.

2. So much to learn! I took a lot of health classes during my undergrad so many of the terms I heard this week were familiar; however, I now need a working knowledge of biology, anatomy, and health information. Already, I can tell that I will seep in so much of this practical understanding by being in this new environment.

3. Big organization v. Little organization: My previous employer was a tiny nonprofit. Now I'm working in a huge top ranked hopsital that's been recognized as one of DC's best employers. The contrast is interesting. The small nonprofit afforded me a lot of autonomy, while the hospital seems quite bureaucratic. But I think I'm going to really excell in the structural environment. And to say the least, heck yes for employee benefits!!!!!

Well, I have a lot of adjustments to make, but soon enough, I know that I'll love this new adventure.

No comments: