Monday, November 20, 2006

As long as I'm sharing hit on stories...

A few weeks ago I went to Salem, MA with my fam to celebrate Halloween. I've never really been a big fan of the pagan holiday, but this year we got all sorts of festive.

So the main party of the trip was the Halloween Ball at the historic Hawthorne Hotel. In her extreme excitement for the event, my mother had costumes planned and sent to my sister and I weeks in advanced. The three of us were witches. Original, huh?

The ball was a blast. There were three floors of dancing, food, and mascarading. The costumes ranged from bizarre to unique to creative to eccentric, to all out freaky. Most of the fun came in people watching that night.

Near the end of the evening, my sister and brother in law and my date and I decided to sit down at a table. I situated myself on the furthest, least accessible spot to make room for everyone else. We were comfortably chatting for a few minutes when I heard, "Hey sweetheart, want to dance?" In mid-sentence of conversation with my date, I turned around to see if there was any girls behind me. Then I hear, "Yes you, with the pretty smile... do you want to dance?"

Oh gees. The last thing I wanted to do was dance with a stranger. With complete surprise on my face, I turned and saw my mother. Excitedly, she was shaking her head up and down saying, "yeah yeah yeah, do it, charlee, go! dance with him!" I'm thinking, "Mother?!?!?"

I looked at my date, who awkwardly assessed the situation a little bit too slowly. He didn't quite know what to do.

So before I knew it, I was dancing with one of the Blues Brothers to techno hip hop versions of Madonna an MJ. The conversation is what cracks me up. What's with these weird question that people ask with the intentions of getting to know you on a deeper level?

First question he poses:
"Are you inside out or outside in?"

Huh? Oh, I get it. "Inside out... motivated mostly from the inside out."

Second question:

"Are we human being spiritual or spiritual being human?"

Ok, straight up weird! Given my understanding of our existance, this question made absolutely no sense to me at the time. The conversation just went down hill. After explaining the question to me a couple of times, I still didn't get it! Not until two days ago when I saw a bumpersticker did it make more sense. It read: We are spiritual beings having a human experience, not human beings having a spiritual experience.
My question is, would YOU hit on this?!?!?!