Monday, November 13, 2006

Holidating

Holidate: n.
1. a relationship between male and female friends wherein a mutual understanding to date each other for the holiday season is agreed upon.

While walking to work this morning, my mind drifted to a term that I like to think that I coined last year. Holidating. The first thing I wondered is if I really am the first to come up with it. After a quick google search I realized that nope, I'm not. I don't believe it's an official idea yet, but a few people, mainly bloggers-- one from Australia, caught on last year as well.

So the reasoning behind this idea is that during the months of November and December, and even into January (and a February extension is plausable), singledom becomes particularly dreadful at times. For example, let's talk about company Christmas parties. A friend and I are already brainstorming who her date can be this year. It's a big deal. Given that most co-workers only know you from work, the person who goes to such an event with you is a reflection of yourself and your personal life. You don't want to show up with a dud. And besides that, these parties, with the open bar, can create awkward situations for the non-drinker. In order to increase your level of enjoyment and pleasure of enduring your co-worker's awkwardness, you neet to bring someone with whom you can make light of your tipsy boss.

Other reasons for holidates are:
--The Nutcracker. Need I say more, ladies?
--Christmas shopping. Company is always fun.
--Christmas lights gazing. Driving around to see the twinkles... (sigh)
--Christmas decorating. Gingerbread houses, trees, window icicles, stockings... oh so much fun!
--Thanksgiving... If you're not going home, why not have someone a little bit (qualified- based on the fact that you aren't necessarily bf/gf) special to spend it with?
--New Year's Eve. Self explanatory.

ok, back to my walk to work this morning...

I decided this morning that I don't buy it this year. My attempt at holidating only caused trouble last year, and I do not intend to waffle with it again this year. Afterall, dating of all sorts renders expectations. Holidating, even with its mutual understanding, can potentially set up for a sticky situation somewhere along the line, and it only distracts the two of you from finding an authentic relationship. I'm learning that definitions of friendship with my guy friends are becoming more and more difficult to understand and maintain, so I'm not picking one to be my holidate this year. Why go through the trouble of defining a holidate when it requires yet another DTR... something I've done too many times lately!

So what's my solution for the '06 holidays ? I'm mostly dating myself for the next couple of months. Narcisistic? Probably. However, let me explain... Recently, I've really enjoyed investing in me. I do things I enjoy. I serve my friends. I get involved in many activities. I keep myself quite content with working toward my goals and becoming my best self. I don't need to be with somoene just because it's the holidays.

That being said, I'm not eliminating the possibilities and am more than happy to go to someone's Christmas party; I'm just eliminating the neediness for a significant other that seems to be intertwined with all the hustle and bustle of the season.

No comments: