Thursday, November 02, 2006

Famous for a Day

At about 4:30 on Tuesday afternoon I received a call at work from NBC's Today Show. They needed a 20 something single virgin from the DC area and wondered if I knew one of those who could comment on a USA Today article about abstinence programs for 20-29 year olds.

hmm... do I know one of those?!?!? Try, I hang out with, like, 5 congregations of assumed abstinent folks in the DC area. I kindly took the call like a press secretary would. Then, after a half hour of trying to get some brave soul to come out on national television as a virgin on Halloween, I found myself roped in.

Before I knew it, I was prepped by my boss and roommates (thanks girls), changed into my new black suit, picked up by a car, driven to the studio, wired with a microphone, and interviewed by Kevin Corke, an NBC correspondent.


I never imagined that I would be famous for a day because I am a virgin. Of course, he asked a million questions and only gave me about 12 seconds in sound bites. He didn't make me look radical or crazy like the media so often tries to do with abstinence so I'm quite satisfied with the segment. Check it out at NBC's Today Show: Abstinence is Not Just for Teens


It all happened so fast, but here's a few of the questions I was asked:
- What is Abstinence?
I simply said it's a lifestyle choice. It's a decision I make. It is the only 100% effective way to eliminate risk of STDs and unwanted pregnancies. I consider it an investment in myself and my future.

- The media makes a joke out this. We have the 40 Year Old Virgin, Sex in the City, etc. Do you get made fun of?
No, I don't usually get made fun of. People make jokes but I never take it personally.

- Isn't there a lot of pressure in your relationships?
I have made my decision already. I know my lines and I'm not going to cross them.

- Is it realistic for the government to fund abstinence programs that target 20-29 year olds?
Yes, you'd be surprised how many people in our peer group are virgins or are refraining from sex. The government should provide people with the best information. Abstinence is about healthy relationships and healthy choices. Again, it is 100% effective. It safeguards physical,mental, and emotional wellbeing, prevents heartbreak, and empowers self esteem. What 20-29 year old wouldn't want that?

- Now you believe (false assumption) that abstinence isn't for everyone, right?
No, I disagree. Abstinence is for everyone. We cannot discriminate against anyone because of previous choices they've made or because they belong to a certain demographic that puts them at high risk. Anyone can choose today to refrain.

That's all I can remember now. As a result, a flurry of media calls have come into my office including the NY Times. I'll definitely post info on any further moments of fame that come my way.

3 comments:

jocie said...

great job charlee! i'm proud to call you my friend.

ANJ said...

yeah my famous virgin friend. thanks for representing us well :)

hahhaha.

Felice Austin said...

Charlee. They took the video down...Dang it. You really were only famous for a day.